Sunday, January 30, 2011

Brooklyn Bagel

NAME: Brooklyn Bagel
LOCATION: 35-05 Broadway Astoria, NY 11106 (there are other locations around NYC as well)
PRICE: $4.60

As you can see I have already violated my control group by ordering a large coffee instead of a small. Never fear, the price I listed is for that of a bagel, veggie cream cheese, and a SMALL coffee.

Now, down to business. As you can probably even tell from the picture, Brooklyn Bagel is far superior to yesterday's "Bagel-who-shall-not-be-named." The bagel itself is fluffy, pleasantly chewy, large, and adorned with a generous speckling of all those tasty bits that make the "everything" on an everything bagel. The veggie spread is generously applied and coats each part of the bagel evenly. The spread is creamy, soft, and has just the right amount of veggies distributed though out.

The coffee comes out HOT, and by hot I mean lawsuit hot. Don't take that first sip for at least 15 minutes or you can bet your charred taste buds will not be able to taste the classy bagel you just ordered. Once cool, the coffee is dark, strong and pretty darn good (I drank the whole large without any hesitation). Best of all, it wasn't packed in the bag with my bagel, so there was no chance of ending up with an unintentionally coffee flavored bagel.

The staff at Brooklyn Bagel is a little rough around the edges. While they are very polite to the customer, you can constantly witness them being cranky and yelling at each other. Many of the workers have trouble understanding your order and usually have to ask 3 or 4 times to get it right.

Attention must also be brought to the sheer number of spreads and bagels they offer. From Nutella cream cheese to Tuscan Artichoke, to walnut raison, there is an impressive variety. I've tried the Tuscan artichoke on a separate occasion and it was quite excellent.

Also of note, while I didn't try it, they offer a French Toast flavored bagel on weekends that looks fairly amazing (the person behind the counter was trying to sell me on it pretty hard). I could see it being great with one of the fruit or nutella flavored cream cheeses. I may just try it next time I pop in.

While, admittedly, my bagel experience in NYC is limited (I have been to about 5 different bagel shops), Brooklyn Bagel currently holds the title of "Best overall bagel" for having a consistently tasty (though not the best there is) bagel, and offering a variety of delicious spreads.

RATING
BAGEL:
SCHMEAR:
COFFEE:

No comments:

Post a Comment